Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Our Little Creature


Just realized that I failed to make an entry when we found out the gender of our baby!

It's a boy, and his name will be Caleb Michael.  We take names pretty seriously, and biblical names are kind of tradition in my family.  (Between first and middle names, it's getting a little difficult not to repeat, by the way!  There are plenty of names in the Bible, but really, who is going to name their kid Jehoiachin or Uz or Buz?  We also want our kid not to have to endure merciless teasing at the hands of schoolmates...)

We love the integrity of Caleb in Numbers 13 and throughout his life.  The fact that he and Joshua stood up in the face of peer pressure with faith that God would do what He promised, despite the grim outlook of the rest of the troops is something that we hope our son aspires to.  We pray that he has the same kind of stubborn, reckless faith.

Michael is Bubba's first name, and it means 'Who is like God?'

Despite what a couple of students and former students may have thought when we announced the name, no.  He is not named after any of you.  No offense.  We love you, but no.  We have had those names chosen for years now, long before we met you.

Here is the best picture, in my opinion.  Here is our Caleb, looking 'tender and mild', a picture of tranquility and innocence.









Aaaand then there's this one.








Now I realize that this might make me sound like the meanest mom ever, but I think that this picture of our little guy is absolutely terrifying.  He weighed about 12 oz. at this point, and he really didn't have whole lot of meat on his li'l bones.  This was the second round of photos, and for him, the show was over.  He was scared (to the point that I almost asked the technician to stop...) and was hiding his little face and retreating as far back into me as he possibly could, while trying to cover his poor little ears.  It really was the saddest thing.  So this picture was taken in the midst of all of that.  It is my honest opinion that he bears a strong resemblance to the creature Gollum.  Tell me you don't see it.  I dare you. 









But this little creature has my heart anyway.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Michael is a wonderful name. Caleb Michael sounds great! My father's name is MichEal. His mother spelled it wrong, accidentally, on his birth certificate. It has stuck, for life. First sons in my family, have the middle name of MichEal. Therefore, we have Benton MichEal Webb. Enjoy your Caleb Michael. And know, that God gives you the perfect boy to fit who you are. EXACTLY. I wish we could be there to be a part of all of this. We are in heart, and prayer. Much love to you, Anna.